Hello!

Cartoonist, comic stripper, and book illustrator. Appears every fortnight in Private Eye (Forgotten Moments in Music History), has also worked for Penguin, Random House, The Times, Spectator, Reader's Digest, The Beano (Billy Whizz) and The Dandy, to name but a few.
Please use the tabs above to browse my portfolio. Home page for my latest news, sketches, and many others.

Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Guess the strip!

Following on from this post, I'm happy to report that the 2013 Dandy annual will include, as well as the three two-page Winker Watson strips I mentioned, three one-page strips of another vintage Dandy strip, by yours truly.


Quite interesting facts about this one:
  • It'll complete a triumvirate of school-based strips for the Dandy (the other two being Winker Watson and Mr Meecher The Uncool Teacher, obviously)
  • It bears the same initials as another of my Dandy strips. 
  • And in this one I'm ghosting the style of the original artist, Ron Spencer (much more closely than I did the Eric Roberts style on Winker Watson)
Have you guessed it yet? Oh come on, I've practically told you! It is a lesser-known strip, but it was always one I loved as a kid. I have a vague childhood memory of feeling deliciously happy reading this strip in a summer special, on the beach. (Not that that's going to help you much)


PS The weekly Dandy really is a great comic now, btw, and if you haven't tried it on your kids yet, I really urge you to give it a go -- this great British institution needs support! It seems to have got rid of the celebrity-based stuff (which I have to admit was my least favourite part) and now really is a cracking kids comic!


Cripes! Bit text-heavy, this post -- here's the title pic from this week's Mr Meecher The Uncool Teacher (out now) to appease the image-hungry:


7 comments:

  1. Robin Hoods School Days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously it should have read 'Hood's'.

      Delete
    2. Well done! -- whoever you are...?

      Delete
    3. Who am I? Who indeed? I have remained annonymous so as to not 'curry' any favour. For it would most certainly put you in a 'pickle' so to speak if my idenity was revealed, indeed I might go psycho on a grand scale.

      Also I don't have a url.

      Delete
  2. that one with the teacher in a suit of armour and all the kids tried to beat him up (forgot what it was called) arr a quick search on ComicUK revealed the answer Whacko! but i dont thinks thats the one your drawing cos u said initials you cant have initials with a one word strip title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very similar strip, in fact I think Ron Spencer may have worked on Whacko! too (but I could be wrong)
      Funnily enough, I was thinking of doing a cross-over, a sort of guest appearance from Whacko, in one of the pages. But didn't in the end.
      Maybe another time, if I get the chance.

      Delete