Hello!

Cartoonist, comic stripper, and book illustrator. Appears every fortnight in Private Eye (Forgotten Moments in Music History), has also worked for Penguin, Random House, The Times, Spectator, Reader's Digest, The Beano (Billy Whizz) and The Dandy, to name but a few.
Please use the tabs above to browse my portfolio. Home page for my latest news, sketches, and many others.

Friday, 27 January 2012

Robin Hood's Schooldays

As a few sharp cookies amongst you guessed, the second strip I've produced for the forthcoming Dandy annual is Robin Hood's Schooldays. It was originally drawn by Ron Spencer in the '70s, in a style which pretty much reprised the Leo Baxendale-esque style he used when he took over Little Plum for The Beano in 1962 (thanks Wikipedia!)


It's a strip I always loved, as it combined a Bash Street kind of mentality and art style with Robin Hood, who was a big hero of mine as a kid. (I was released on parole in 1993 after serving five years for armed robbery*)


Anyway, here's a title panel from one of the strips.
(*Yes, that was a joke)

10 comments:

  1. Ah familar faces, did you do any in this years annual. D, richies mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi D, thanks for the comment.
    No, this is my first time in the annual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All i can say is wow!Excellent artwork Will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fan-flippin'-tastic!

    I love the colouring - you absolute genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Harry i dunno about that oh okay i am a genius hem hem ;)

      Delete
  5. Very nice. I don't remember the strip that well, but I do recognise the School of Baxendale style. I like the way your own style still comes through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Royston, and I'm pleased you think a little of my usual style comes through too. I was hoping someone might say that. ;)

      Delete