Hello!

Cartoonist, comic stripper, and book illustrator. Appears every fortnight in Private Eye (Forgotten Moments in Music History), has also worked for Penguin, Random House, The Times, Spectator, Reader's Digest, The Beano (Billy Whizz) and The Dandy, to name but a few.
Please use the tabs above to browse my portfolio. Home page for my latest news, sketches, and many others.

Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Wilbur does... The Badd Lads!

I've just finished four more pages for the 2013 Dandy annual, to add to the Winker Watson and  Robin Hood's Schooldays strips I produced last month. This time I've been breathing new life into the old Beezer strip The Badd Lads. (A bunch of inept crooks, for the ill-read among you). 


The strip was originally drawn by Malcolm Judge, who also produced Billy Whizz and Ball Boy for The Beano, and The Numskulls for The Beezer. Like my Robin Hood's Schooldays pages, I've worked pretty close to the original style...and yet somehow without finding it a big adjustment from my usual style.


I'm now working on one last thing for the Dandy annual... the endpapers, which I've been having rather a lot of fun with... 

23 comments:

  1. That looks ace Wilbur, can't wait to see it! But can anyone tell me why they're called the Badd lads with two d's? Are they brothers, and that's their surname, or what? I don't think that fact's ever been mentioned in the strip (none that I've ever seen, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura, thanks, and that's a very good point. I assumed 'Badd' was a proper name, but if they ARE brothers, they couldn't be less alike, really, could they! And does anyone call their brother 'Boss'? (could happen, I suppose :)
      All part of the fun, I reckon.

      Delete
    2. This looks proper excellent, Wilbur! They shall have to call this year's book The Dawndy Annual at this rate! :D Congrats!

      Delete
    3. Thanks a lot, Andy, and for RT too. Muchly appreciated, kind sir.

      Delete
  2. Nice one Cyril! I loved the original strip and Mike Judges art. Can't wait to see your star turn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, fella. :D
      Heh, I dunno about star turn, but, y'know, there'll be a few bits and bobs in there, anyway.

      Delete
  3. Amazing!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Wayne. :D


      Er, assuming you mean amazing in a good way, and not 'Amazing they've given this loser so many pages this year.'

      Delete
    2. Amazing in a good way:)

      Delete
    3. thanks for the clarification, kind sir!

      Delete
  4. This is all pretty exciting, Will - looks like I may be buying a Dandy annual for the first time in about 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think it's going to be a nice book, i really do. it's the 75th anniversary annual, so it should be a bit special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I was thinking just that Rob. Nice one Wilbur.

    Great to see some of the strips I loved as a kid getting a re-vamp. Was Wizzer & Chips DC too? They had some quality characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mate, they were one of IPC/Fleetway's large array of titles. Sigh... Them were the days! I loved Whizzer and Chips -- I was a Chip-ite, myself. You're going to tell me you were a softy Whizzkid, now, aren't you?

      Delete
  7. Nothing soft about the Whizzkids!

    It's possible they were called the Badd Lads, because Boss's surname was Badd, and they were in his gang. I've e-mailed Ray Moore to see if he knows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. andy -- whizzkid? nooooooooooooooo!

      good man re the email -- i think we should be told.

      actually, i liked harry rickard's idea on twitter -- they just call themselves that because they think it's cool.

      i suspect it's never been explained as such in the strip...

      Delete
  8. More classic characters!! It's gonna be one good annual this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks brilliant. So does Winker Watson and Robin Hood's Schooldays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gary: It's MAL Judge. Also of Billy Whizz, The Numskulls, Colonel Crackpot's Circus and Ali's Baba. Yeah, you knew that already. Sorry for being a little annoying know-it-all brat again, guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fair point, Oliver, Gary must've got Malcolm Judge mixed up with Mike Judge of Beavis and Butthead fame. I hadn't actually noticed.

      Delete
    2. (Btw, to reply directly to a comment you can click on reply under that comment and your reply will be grouped with it. Like I've done here)

      Delete