Hello!

Cartoonist, comic stripper, and book illustrator. Appears every fortnight in Private Eye (Forgotten Moments in Music History), has also worked for Penguin, Random House, The Times, Spectator, Reader's Digest, The Beano (Billy Whizz) and The Dandy, to name but a few.
Please use the tabs above to browse my portfolio. Home page for my latest news, sketches, and many others.

Saturday, 15 September 2012

Dandy, Dandy, where you gonna go now...?

I expect you've heard that The Dandy, at least as a printed comic, is due to end publication in December, on its 75th anniversary. A great shame, of course, but I suppose nothing lasts forever. There is a Save The Dandy campaign, and I guess if you want to be part of it going out and buying the comic would seem like a good start. Ironically -- from what I've seen anyway -- it's easier to find at the moment than it has been for some time.

My character, Mr Meecher The Uncool Teacher, is back in the comic from now til the end, I believe, albeit in reduced circumstances: The powers that be couldn't find a full page classroom for him, so he's in the portakabin of a three-panel mini-strip. 
I also note that the Dandy annual 2013 is now on the shelves, with loads of great stuff, and 12 pages of comics written and drawn by me, as mentioned here before -- three double-page Winker Watsons, and three each single page Badd Lads and Robin Hood's Schooldays. (I drew four Badd Lads pages but one seems to have been left out in a printing error, with a Lew Stringer Smasher page being printed twice instead) 

I also drew the endpapers for the book, and I drew 75 Dandy characters, past and present, to mark the occasion. Perhaps I'll post a few here between now and December.... Here's Beryl the Peril.

Finally, a bit of good news to end on. The Dandy annual is to continue being published, and I have already been commissioned to draw more Winker Watson for the 2014 book. (In fact, I've already drawn the three double-page spreads -- I know, I'm such a swot!)

9 comments:

  1. Hi Wilbur, I love all your work, especially your work for the 2013 Dandy Annual. Your Winker Watson, Robin Hoods Schooldays and Badd Lads felt like they were from an old issue of the Dandy, but they felt new as well. I am excited that Winker will be making an appearance in the 2014 Annual. Do you think you would be able to add the Badd Lads page that didn't get printed in the Annual to the comics section of your website? Thanks for making me smile whenever I read Mr Meecher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the comment, it's lovely to hear my stuff has given you some enjoyment. That mixture of old and new that you mention is exactly what i was going for with the annual work.
      Regarding the Badd Lads page, that's a possibility, but DC Thomson won't want me to put anything online before it's been published -- and hopefully they still plan to use it some time... I'll have to ask.

      Delete
  2. Saw the first "reduced" Meecher. Thought it worked pretty well in the three-panel strip format.

    Look forward to seeing the annual. Shame about that printing cock-up! I guess it's not that surprising that the annual is continuing. It's always been aimed at very different, more nostalgic market, hence it never echoed the new-look comic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, would seem to be the case.
      It's apparently been out a while, but i've only just seen it (in WH Smiths)
      Does look like being a good book this year -- for nostalgia buffs, at least.

      Delete
  3. Love Meecher's elongated limbs! Amazed they couldn't find the space for a full pager. He's one of the most popular new characters. Still, a mini-strip is better than nowt.

    I sent the Dandy a mini-strip idea a while back. They never got back to me though. I'd like to think it's because they weren't taking any new artists, though perhaps it's just that they hated it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy enough doing the mini strips. I'm pretty busy right now, plus it gives me the chance to use up all the bits and bobs in my Meecher notebook, odd ideas and scraps of dialogue that i never managed to develop into full-pagers, but which work pretty well as mini strips.

    Bit naughty of them not even to get back to you. I can't imagine them hating something of yours, they'd probably begun to wind things down... Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a bad error and not a printing one either but an editorial one. I just wanted say how fantastic your Berryl the Peril looks! You're the perfect artist replacement for David Law. I can't wait to buy this year's annual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, kind sir! I think you know this, but just to be clear, my Beryl is only on the endpapers. The hugely talented Mr Steve Bright has drawn the Beryl pages for the annual (along with an amazing looking Black Bob)

      Delete